Walnut or akhrot is an edible, hard shelled dry fruit used in main dishes and sweets and desserts as well a hard-shelled dried fruit that are used in main dishes as well as desserts and salads. It is a great source of nutrients like proteins.
Three of the main types of walnuts consumed are the English (or Persian) walnut, Juglans regia; the black walnut, Juglans nigra; and the white (or butternut) walnut, Juglans cinerea.
You can add it to yoghurts, desserts or healthy vegetables. It can also be added as a stuffing in Indian breads, or poultry dishes. Walnuts are often used in desserts to make chocolate brownies and a variety of cakes. Walnut chocolates are very popular as well.
They can be mixed very well in salads. Walnuts are used to make granola and are a major ingredient in a variety high-nutrition granola bars.
1. It helps in decreasing LDL or bad cholesterol in the body.
2. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties and help lower the risk of blood pressure, coronary artery disease, strokes and breast, colon and prostate cancers.
3. They are rich source of many phyto-chemical substances that have anti-oxidant properties and help against cancer, aging, inflammation, and neurological diseases.
4. They are an excellent source of vitamin E, which is a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant, required for maintaining the integrity of cell membrane of mucus membranes and skin by protecting it from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
5. They also very are rich source of minerals like manganese, copper, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.