Cloves are a kind of spice used in cuisines all over the world. It is an aromatic dried flower bud that is said to native to Indonesia. It has a strong taste and smell and is therefore, mostly used as a flavor in curries, meat or sweet dishes like fruits pies. You can also use it in the preparation of soups, barbeque sauces or to make pickles.
Fresh cloves are pink in color, they change to a dark brown color on being dried. The have elongated bodies with a flowery head, they look like small nails. They have a sweet pungent aroma. They are also available in powdered form but its preferable to but whole cloves for the flavor and aroma. Store in air tight containers.
1. It contains essential oils such as eugenol that has antiseptic properties which is useful in dental care. It is known to cure mild tooth pains.
2. Cloves help relax the smooth lining of the gastrointestinal tract and help relieve indigestion and constipation problems.
3. It also contains minerals like potassium, manganese, iron, selenium and magnesium that are help control blood pressure and also act as antioxidants.
4. Further, the spice buds contain very good amounts of vitamin A which helps the body maintain a healthy mucus membrane and beta carotene which protects the body from lung and oral cavity related problems.
5. It also contains vitamin c that C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and protects from free radicals.